Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hand painted grids

The Three Hundred, 2008. oil on canvas 60 x 72




Here it is...my latest commission. I really had a lot of fun doing this painting. The collectors let me make a painting. They showed me their land and then said to me, "We want you to make the best painting you can, so do whatever you need to do to make the best panting you can for us." "Wahoo!!" I thought. I get to do the painting however it needs to be done. That's not to say that their commission wasn't without its challenges. Their ranch is very large, so I knew that trying to literally paint the whole thing was really going to be impossible, and even if I was going to try and paint it how I wanted to, I would still be painting thousands of trees. Plus the trees were not a defining element for the painting. I had to find an element that I could build the painting around. Exploring around their ranch I found it in a spring creek that ran through their property. I knew that if I got that right, it would feel like their ranch.

When they came into to my studio to see the finished painting for the first time they immediately said, "Hey, that's our three hundred..."

Let me tell you, that felt good.

No comments: