Friday, March 23, 2007

The MO Commission, part one

Shortly Before, 2007. oil on canvas, 28 x 46

This is a painting that's just fresh off my easel. It is for a commission I did for a couple in Missouri. I am quite pleased with how it turned out. The painting process for this piece and how it was finished was fairly typical for me. So I thought this would be a good opportunity to talk about how I make a painting from start to finish.

This painting was started, since it was a commission, by deciding with the collectors how large the piece was going to be and then I stretched the canvas. I would normally just stretch a variety of sizes, which are sometimes based on thumbnails than I've been doing recently. Most other artists I know do not stretch their own canvas, but I simply can not find any canvases that are prepped the way I want them, so I do it myself, the old fashioned way...two coats of hide glue and oil ground primer. It's simply the best canvas surface I have ever painted on.

So once the canvas was ready to go it sits in my studio until I have the nerve to start on it...

1 comment:

Popi said...

Jon - I tried to leave a comment earlier but then for some reason the system would not let me publish.

I'm sorry I will not be able to see this painting in person (most likely). It is a powerful painting. Like some of my favorites that you paint, this one beckons me to enter. Only on this one as small as it is, the pull is very powerful. I also enjoy reading you commentary.