Monday, November 24, 2008

Working with it

Postlude, 2008
oil on panel

7 x 8

This is one of my smaller pieces in my show. I am still playing around with the whole purple/green combination. As I'm getting more comfortable with the color structure, I think I may try a larger piece soon with these same color cords. The sky color was the big surprise, I can remember mixing it on my palette and thinking, "this is never going to work, its too green!" but when it began working together with the other colors in the painting, it felt right. This is one great reason to work out problems on smaller paintings. The time and energy spent on a smaller painting is not near as much as I would spend on a large paintings. So I tend to take as many chances as I dare in my smaller works, I play around and see if something new will work. But in my larger works, I can't afford to spend a lot of time on something and then have to throw it away. I need to have a pretty good idea of what I am doing on a larger work before I start. That is not to say that I don't improvise on larger works. I do. Just because something works on a smaller scale doesn't mean that it will work in a larger scale, so I am still solving other painting problems. But, if I can work out some of issues of a new visual idea on a smaller panel, then I feel I can be more effective in my larger works.



At least that how I feel this month....

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

Hello John, I stumbled upon your paintings by accident. I like them very much, your landscapes very similar to the Dutch Delta. You'll have to check two Dutch (Frisian) painters that have a very similar approach to landscape painting (composition and color wise) and are both well respected an known artists in the Netherlands: Jentsje Popma (1921-) and Brunet Riegstra (1953-). Just Google pictures and follow what pops up. Let me know what you think.
Thank for sharing.
Greetings from Gerbrand Caspers aka the Linosaurus, http://gerrie-thefriendlyghost.blogspot.com/

John Karl Claes said...

I didn't discover your comment until very recently...thank you for the kind words about my work. I googled the two artists you mentioned. I can see the similarities, and I really enjoyed looking at their work. It's always interesting to look at other artist's work that look at the world in connected ways that are unknown to each other. I would like to see more of their paintings!