Monday, March 3, 2008

Another summer day

Afternoon Squares, 2008. oil on panel, 8 x 8


Here is yet another summer afternoon painting.


I never tire of playing with closely related visual ideas. I think it was Richard Diebenkorn who said it was only when he set up a very limited set of rules within his work that he found the freedom to try radically different ideas within those set of rules.


I keep playing with the elements of valley summer afternoons. How can I push it around, bend it, morph it, but not break the rules that I have set for myself? It's a great game to play.


This is one such painting, and it was effortless to paint. The composition and color just came together without a second thought. If only they were all this easy.

2 comments:

drips of paint said...

keep up the good work John ...

I like reading some of your writing -like the post you decribe your last commisssion 2007 the vine yard... very interesting to see what goes into your painting.

"Another summer day" is magnetic ... your painting looks simple at first glance but those that works draw people in at a very deep level yet I do not know why I like them ... I guess the power of some of your rules.

John Karl Claes said...

Tim, thanks for the kind words about my writing and work.