Saturday, February 2, 2008

Sideways

Clearing Off, 2008. oil on panel, 8 x 7



I can count on one hand how many vertical paintings I have done in the last ten years. I can't tell you why (well, I could but it would bore you to tears) let's just leave it at, "I haven't done any."


In this new group of paintings I have been posting I've done three or four "sideways" paintings. I don't know why I decided to do them now, I really didn't think about it, I just did them. And blow me over they were kind of interesting. It presented a set of different problems for me to think about and got me out of thinking only in one way. It really helps when I don't really care if something works and just see what happens. What's the worse case scenario? I might stumble and have to throw it away? Really, is that such a big deal? It's just a piece of wood or canvas. When I am willing to take chances like that, its liberating and I believe stronger work is the result, even if I have to toss some paintings to get there.


Besides, it's cold I could use the firewood.

No comments: