Tuesday, January 22, 2008

If it ain't broke, change everything

Winter Color, 2008. oil on panel 8 x 10


There are times when I realize that I'm in a rut. It's time to mix it up and change things. I start a piece that I don't really know how to make it work. I explore. I make mistakes. I mumble to myself about how bad a painter I am. I get mad at the canvas. But sometimes my experiments work. And my painting change and, I believe, improve. So you get Winter Color which is different than anything I've done before. I'm excited to see where it will lead.





2 comments:

drips of paint said...

//I mumble to myself about how bad a painter I am.// ... I do this all the time.

Hi John,
Stumble across your blog thru Pleineric and this post caught my attention.

your painting has vision, very nice.

John Karl Claes said...

drips of paint-

Thanks for the kinds words about my work.

Isn't it amazing how one painting can make you feel like complete crap?

I look foward to looking at your work.